Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery Specialist located in Miami Beach, FL
The Day of Surgery
- Duration of surgery: 1 hour
- Outpatient procedure (you will go home the same day)
- Anesthesia is sedation or general + regional (the foot will be numb of 2-3 days, making it difficult to walk. We will provide you with crutches to help you mobilize these first 2-3 days).
- Sedation or general anesthesia (you can discuss which one with the anesthesiologist the day of surgery) is required as this is very precise surgery, requiring complete patient immobility.
The Postoperative Period
- You will be able to walk on the surgical foot as soon as the nerve block wears off (2-3 days).
- Postoperative pain is typically managed with the prescribed pain medications.
- You will need to keep the foot bandaged for the first 2 weeks (cannot get it wet).
- Sutures will fall off on their own in most cases.
- You will need to wear a special postoperative sandal that we will provide for 6 weeks, after which you can wear sneakers or wide shoes that can accommodate swelling.
- Surgery on the right foot will prevent you from driving for 2-6 weeks.
- High heels are allowed 3 months after surgery
- The foot will remainswollen for about 4 months.
- Return to low impact activities (elliptical, stationary bike, upper body exercises): as soon as you feel comfortable.
- Return to higher impact activities (running, yoga, etc): 12 weeks after surgery
- Return to work: as soon as you feel comfortable. Most patients with desk jobs return to work within a week or two. The remaining patients return to work within 6 weeks
What are the Risks of Bunion Surgery?
- Bunion recurrence, as with most bunionectomy techniques, is 15%.
- Risks of the procedure (including but not limited to): nerve irritation, infection, bone fracture, bone malalignment, bone not healing, avascular necrosis, joint stiffness, permanent numbness, chronic regional pain syndrome, transfer metatarsalgia, hallux varus, blood clot (overall occurrence of these is about 9%).
Please see more detailed list of potential risks under Possible Surgical Complications