Hallux Fusion - Fusion of the Hallux MP Joint. What is it?
This operation is designed to glue (fuse) the big toe joint
together. It is also called an arthrodesis of the big toe or
metatarsophalangeal joint. This is a very commonly performed operation for
arthritis and deformity of the big toe joint.
- Once fused, the big toe does not move except at the end joint
The toe is positioned according to the need to roll off the big toe,
exercise or the desire to different types including high heel shoes
Once fusion is successful, you will be able to wear most shoes, including a
high heel if desired of about one and a half inches.
There are no limits to exercise activities after the fusion, including all
sports and running.
Hallux Fusion Recovery - General Facts
In most patients, the surgery can be performed with a
minimally invasive (keyhole surgery) technique
- You are able to walk on the outside of the foot the day after surgery
You must wear your surgical shoe at all times until the joint is fused
You may not walk on the barefoot at all even in the house without this shoe
You may drive as soon as comfortable, usually at 4 days if the left foot and
21 days if the right foot.
- The surgical shoe is worn for 6-8 weeks
Limited exercise that does not involve any bending of the big toe joint is
allowed at about 4 weeks after surgery
Hallux Fusion Recovery - Specific Post-Operative Course
- Foot wrapped in a bulky bandage and surgical shoe
- Ice, elevate, take pain medication
- Blood drainage through bandage is expected
- Do not remove surgical shoe
- Remove surgical shoe
- Do not roll off on the big toe for one more month.
- A stiff-soled shoe is important for one to two months
- A regular shoe may then be worn as comfortable
Request Your Appointment Today!
To request your appointment, please call
(305) 674-2090 or
contact us online today!
Ettore Vulcano, MD (Mount Sinai Medical Center)
4302 Alton Road, Suite 220
Miami Beach, FL 33140
Orthopedic surgeon serving patients in Miami Beach, Miami, and the
surrounding South Florida communities.