MINIMALLY INVASIVE Hallux Fusion in Miami Beach, FL
Hallux Fusion - Fusion of the Hallux MP Joint. What is it?
- This operation is designed to glue (fuse) the big toe joint together. It is also called an arthrodesis of the big toe or metatarsophalangeal joint. This is a very commonly performed operation for arthritis and deformity of the big toe joint.
- Once fused, the big toe does not move except at the end joint
- The toe is positioned according to the need to roll off the big toe, exercise or the desire to different types including high heel shoes
- Once fusion is successful, you will be able to wear most shoes, including a high heel if desired of about one and a half inches.
- There are no limits to exercise activities after the fusion, including all sports and running.
Hallux Fusion Recovery - General Facts
- In most patients, the surgery can be performed with a minimally invasive (keyhole surgery) technique
- You are able to walk on the outside of the foot the day after surgery
- You must wear your surgical shoe at all times until the joint is fused
- You may not walk on the barefoot at all even in the house without this shoe
- You may drive as soon as comfortable, usually at 4 days if the left foot and 21 days if the right foot.
- The surgical shoe is worn for 6-8 weeks
- Limited exercise that does not involve any bending of the big toe joint is allowed at about 4 weeks after surgery
Hallux Fusion Recovery - Specific Post-Operative Course
- Foot wrapped in a bulky bandage and surgical shoe
- Ice, elevate, take pain medication
- Blood drainage through bandage is expected
- Do not remove surgical shoe
- Remove surgical shoe
- Do not roll off on the big toe for one more month.
- A stiff-soled shoe is important for one to two months
- A regular shoe may then be worn as comfortable