Ankle Ligament Repair and Reconstruction: What is it?
You have torn the ankle ligaments and a repair of the ligaments is necessary
to tighten up the ankle and prevent further episodes of twisting
- There are two main ligaments which will be repaired and tightened.
The operation is called the modified Brostrom procedure and is made with a
cut on the ankle and the two ligaments are re-attached and tightened using
tiny anchors to which the stitches are attached into the bone (the fibula).
Whenever possible this procedure can be performed with a
minimally invasive technique.
- Following surgery, you will need to use crutches for about two weeks.
You will be able to start walking in a removable walking boot by two weeks
- The boot is worn for 4-6 weeks, and then you are able to wear a shoe.
- You can start gentle exercising at 6 weeks after surgery
- Physical therapy is an important part of your recovery
Running, cutting and ball and racket sports are not permitted for 3-4 months
after the surgery
Ankle Ligament Surgery - Specific Post-Operative Course
- Foot wrapped in bulky plaster bandage
- Elevate, take pain medication as needed
- Do not change bandage
- Dressing changed, sutures removed
Boot is applied to the foot and Weight-bearing in the boot as tolerated
- You can take the boot off for bathing
- Can start physical therapy
- Can use sneaker
Request Your Appointment Today!
To request your appointment, please call
(305) 674-2090 or
contact us online today!
Ettore Vulcano, MD (Mount Sinai Medical Center)
4302 Alton Road, Suite 220
Miami Beach, FL 33140
Orthopedic surgeon serving patients in Miami Beach, Miami, and the
surrounding South Florida communities.