Ankle Ligament Repair and Reconstruction: What is it?
- You have torn the ankle ligaments and a repair of the ligaments is necessary to tighten up the ankle and prevent further episodes of twisting
- There are two main ligaments which will be repaired and tightened.
- The operation is called the modified Brostrom procedure and is made with a cut on the ankle and the two ligaments are re-attached and tightened using tiny anchors to which the stitches are attached into the bone (the fibula). Whenever possible this procedure can be performed with a minimally invasive technique.
- Following surgery, you will need to use crutches for about two weeks.
- You will be able to start walking in a removable walking boot by two weeks
- The boot is worn for 4-6 weeks, and then you are able to wear a shoe.
- You can start gentle exercising at 6 weeks after surgery
- Physical therapy is an important part of your recovery
- Running, cutting and ball and racket sports are not permitted for 3-4 months after the surgery
Ankle Ligament Surgery - Specific Post-Operative Course
- Foot wrapped in bulky plaster bandage
- Elevate, take pain medication as needed
- Do not change bandage
- Dressing changed, sutures removed
- Boot is applied to the foot and Weight-bearing in the boot as tolerated
- You can take the boot off for bathing
- Can start physical therapy
- Can use sneaker
Request Your Appointment Today!
To request your appointment, please call (786) 386-0062 or contact us online today!
Ettore Vulcano, MD (Mount Sinai Medical Center)
4302 Alton Road, Suite 220
Miami Beach, FL 33140
Phone: (786) 386-0062
Orthopedic surgeon serving patients in Miami Beach, Miami, and the surrounding South Florida communities.